Tuesday, January 20, 2015



Good Morning, All! Welcome to the MashUp for 21 January 2015: the 10 of Cups, the Ace of Wands, and winging her way in from more moderate realms is XIV Temperance. (Today’s deck is the *Witches Tarot* by Mark Evans and Ellen Dugan. It is a wonderfully clear deck, there are no ambiguities here. Facile to read, and “feels” good.) I feel as if, by happy surprise, the waiter has delivered the Giant Shellfish Extravaganza to my table by mistake, instead of the bowl of tepid mud I was expecting. Or perhaps Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos are laying around, “chasing the dragon” together, and Clotho pipes up, “I know! Let’s give Mark Miller really good cards today. That’ll fuck with his head! Ahahaha!” Besides saying more about me and my ego than about a conversation among the Fates, that’s really the kind of goofily glad feeling I get when I look at a draw like this. Not that I am that easily pleased (“Give the elephant a peanut, Simon”), but it DOES help to get a positive “’attaboy!” just after rising and in the process of pumping caffeine into the machine. The 10 of Cups is family harmony and happiness, as we know. I have been having this card pop up repeatedly lately, so I feel as if the happiness and contentment I feel in my personal life is manifest and done. I’m happy at home, and we all know the Tolstoy quote about happy families (boring.) I get that, too, as a lot of our friends are young people, between 23 and 30 (we are an older couple, 63 and +, and their incomprehension before such boring bliss is amusing and, in the end, tiresome. The Ace of Wands in there, sticking “up out of” the 10 of Cups is surprising but not unwelcome. This star of the Fire cards is always welcome chez moi, although the birth of anything creative or having the least whiff of inventiveness isn’t present at this time. Perhaps it will be coming up as a subject today? Oh Frabjous Joy! Whatever the reason, the Ace of Wands always reminds me of the wizard Gandalf (J.R.R. Tolkien’s *The Lord of the Rings*) and his “miraculous” uses of that instrument. If I could wield it half as effectively in the creation of a new project I would be overjoyed, providing I deemed the project worthy of the time & effort. Lensing over all of this I have XIV Temperance, or as she is known on campuses around the world, “The Party Killer.” Nothing kills like excess, so they say, and “she” is “their” buckler against the arrival of the bar bill. I’m not that adept at avoiding the bar bill, so I truly like to cultivate this particular friendship. I tend to set ablaze everything I do, and couple this high Fire elemental with an addictive personality and I have a walking Towering Inferno, an example of which I am the often bizarrely proud but diffident owner. She is often the only voice that will get through, that CAN get through the static and the willful blocking out of adverse opinion. Although she can do this in minor ways in someone’s life, it is usually the major issues she is best at helping. Here, I think she is telling me, right from the start, to temper whatever overenthusiastic idea comes barreling down the pipeline with that Ace of Wands, and to pay attention so as not to see ALL of my life through those domestic rose-colored shades.  Therefore, it can only profit me to pay attention to the pattern that my life is forming around me and to assure myself of its perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment