Sunday, January 11, 2015



Good morning, All! Welcome to my MashUp for 12 January 2015: the 3 of Pentacles, XII the Hanged Man and observing from the sidelines and awaiting his moment to jump in is the 6 of Pentacles. (Today’s deck is the *Connolly Tarot* by Eileen & Peter Paul Connolly. It has a similar kind of smooth, bright & colorful artwork as a Richard Place deck, but with less mysticism & alchemical references. I suppose they might still exist, but do you remember for a while a trend of medieval-themed restaurants, where you were served half a chicken, some root beer, no flatware and a joust as dinner entertainment? Not exactly “Camelot ‘R Us,” but similar idea? This deck reminds me of that – bright simple colors for the simple-minded peasantry.) I was watching the marches across France yesterday and feeling more than ever that we are going to Hell in a handbasket, and f-a-s-t. You can’t help but wonder what happened to the world; granted, I grew up in that most hallucinogenic period of American invincibility, the Eisenhower years, but good lord, it takes more than “post-colonialism” to explain what the heck is going on now. In its own way, “modern history” has made my inquiries and study of the Tarot all the more valuable; it is reassuring in the sense of having been shipwrecked with at least ONE useful book. More & more I get the feeling of, “buckle your seat belts; it’s going to be a bumpy ride.”  This gives this morning’s MashUp all the more piquancy for me, as I am fairly comfortable in my “real” life with money and possessions. I don’t believe it is that kind of sacrifice that is being called for here, nor that it is so simplistic as to be reduced to a biblical clichĂ©, “give up your riches and follow me.” (Of course, those with any money at all always DO say something like that.) The fact that I’m having a Pentacle day is rather surprising in itself, as lately everything has been Swords and Wands. (I’m always poverty-stricken in the Cups; my bĂȘte noire.) However, it is a “backwards progression” or even “regression” that came out of the cards, FROM mastery TO works; couple that with the XII, and I’ve got a funny feeling that it isn’t speaking about filthy lucre at all, but about my “work,” which is ME. I’m being asked to sacrifice, or being TOLD to sacrifice for my own good, depending on how you look at it, some aspect of “my work” that is precious to me but whose destruction will nevertheless further my growth. This most definitely sounds like something about my ego, but I’m not getting any of the usual cartomantic references to that, say a King of Wands or a Knight of Swords. So, I am left with something of a conundrum today; “for ‘just’ a daily MashUp, what does such a deceptively simple draw tell you about your day?” I’m not sure, but I’m going to stay open to pausing, giving, sacrifice and generosity today. These ALL seem to be called for by the draw, and besides, they are good to have operative anyway. So, I shall affirm that pause, that reflection, and that different point of view. Seeing it with an open heart and a giving spirit would help a bit today as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment