Friday, January 16, 2015


Good morning, All! Welcome to my  for 17 January 2015: IV the Emperor, the 8 of Wands and lensing in from Nirvana we have the 10 of Cups. (Today’s deck is the *Vecchio Tarocco Italiano di Stefano Vergnano, Torino, 1830 ca.* presented by Giordano Berti. Wonderful old Italian deck, standard imagery, attractive & oddly “liminal” color work. Contact Giordano, here on FB, for further information.) It took me a long time to like the antique style minor arcana, but now I like it, and using one of these “old,” classic decks makes Tarot, for me, more of a participation in an “historical operation” than normally. Today, despite the presence of a female personage in the draw, is about Domesticity and its maintenance. IV the Emperor is often seen more in terms of what he ISN’T, with reference to III the Empress, than what he IS. In the datable world of Tarot, the Emperor was seen as the “pendant” to the Empress. He provides material security and stability, and she everything else. In these decks he is old, as well, which is an important point; the old, aging king married to his young, FERTILE Empress is significant in the terms that although he is the male half, or the male energy of the Couple, it is the female, the Queen/Empress, where the most profound security AND wisdom may be found. IT is II and V, or II and IX, again, just in different costumes. Okay, so there I am, a doddering old emperor being deadweight on the ankle of Aphrodite. Yet here, I am accompanied by the 8 of Wands and the 10 of Cups, both of which may easily be interpreted as care of the Domestic Pattern, paying attention to the home front, doing my best and acting quickly to keep my couple in the harmony zone. I see here a suggestion that we spend time today on discussion, of us and our modalities that we normally don’t bother to share because they seem so picayune, and our couple as an “entity.”  THAT is really more the 8 of Wands, which can normally be folded into the omelette as “haste,” yet it CAN signify other things as well. The 10 of Cups here is my result if I follow through with right action on today’s reading. The 10 of Cups is always a bit Tolstoyan for me: “All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” Today I hope that my wife and I can spend time in reinforcing the fact that we are of that first group and not the second. “Today my life gives me everything I need to be happy,” true, but I would be amiss to forget to mention that my wife, my marriage, mean a GREAT deal to me, and it is the healthy maintenance of that garden that gives me the love, the space, the time and the necessary but oft-forgotten silence that allows me to work on myself by working with the Tarot. I owe all of that, most gratefully, to my wife. She is a very good woman following an entirely different path to arrive at our common goal, and she recognizes the necessity of mine for me. So, today, I’ll probably irritate her by getting underfoot, but the intention is well-meant. I do love you, ma chère . . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment