Friday, October 9, 2015

Good morning and Welcome! to my Scales of Ma’at reading for 10-Oct-2015: the Knight of Pentacles and I the Magician. (Today’s deck is *The Bohemian Gothic Tarot* by Alexandr Ukolov and Karen Mahoney. This is one of my, if not The, favorite Gothic deck that isn’t strictly speaking, about vampires. [Not that there is anything wrong with vampires; one of my very favorite decks ever is a vampire deck!] While done very broadly according to a RWS system, I nevertheless can’t help but put a Thothian spin on things from time to time, which I do with this deck as well; I am beginning to think the “more hierarchical” the deck, the more Thoth spin I inject. Perhaps I am over-XIV-ing, but she has hammered my head so often in the last six months that it has become automatic now to measure, along with everything else, a thing’s “moderation level” before acting. When I first became interested in the time period, I fixated on Prague as the Baroque capital of alchemy, sorcery, magic and metaphysics, and want to see that reputedly still-gorgeous city. If it helps at all, the Baroque was the time period when the harpsichord was played with elegance. Wikipedia defines it thusly; “The Baroque . . . is often thought of as a period of artistic style that used exaggerated motion and clear, easily interpreted detail to produce drama, tension, exuberance, and grandeur in sculpture, painting, architecture, literature, dance, theater, and music.” That’s only one-half the story, of course, but that is too far afield. The point of this meandering is that this is one of the darker decks out there, and as a subsequence so will be the reading.) First up is my Heart card for today, which is the Knight of Pentacles. The illustration on the card is actually “quite a hoot,” as it is a horsed knight inside a building, carrying his head in the crook of his left arm: that is as clear a way as any to say that this knight doesn’t use his head, doesn’t even need it. He is duty and responsibility without too much overburdening reflection. As the Air of Earth, he lives in Tiphareth and bestrides both Aries and Taurus. “The Knight of Pentacles (Prince of Disks) is . . . steady and unwavering - once on his path, he is going forward towards his goal. ‘He’ can seem a bit cold in his emotions sometimes, yet he values his comfort and beauty. He is patient and tolerant, but once in rage, he hardly forgives. On the shadow site, he can get stubborn and ignorant, overly piqued on anything not belonging to his related surrounding, and phlegmatic up to total stagnation.” (Raven)  His Drive is solidity, increased material growth and his Light is unwavering . . . reasonable and careful.  When I drew this card, I felt him “coming through” in a reversed manner: so even though he is upright I’m giving him a bit of “reverse spin,” emotionally and intuitionally. I can easily see where after all the Sturm und Drang of the last couple of months my mindset has settled down (already!,) and wishes to settle back into the comfortable – slippers, the Lazy Boy chair, a movie or music playing, and everything to hand. He doesn’t want any more challenges right now, and I can certainly understand and empathize with him on that, but I won’t change the bigger picture – “You are going to keep growing, Mark, even if I have to kick your ass to get you down the road occasionally.” Plus, I’m feeling lazy, a sure sign of my stubbornness. “Head set? Good, then set your attitude and corresponding body language, too.” I’m feeling lazy on another front as well; the date of surgery has been set for my leg, mid-November, so my rebellious mind is saying, “Good: Now we don’t have to exercise that bloody leg anymore!” and has set itself on “Lazy-Boy.” I need to be careful of that; now isn’t the time to relax, and it won’t be even up to 6 weeks after the surgery (I am being sent back to the factory for “reconditioning” somewhere nearby, probably some grimy & grubby industrial suburb of Lyon, after the surgery.)  My Feather of Truth today is I the Magician, and the image reminds me of nothing so much as an old man trying to fight back time with hair dye and too much make-up. He could be dead, too; one isn’t sure. I suppose he is imagined as “vampiric;” alright, we’ll roll with it. Master of the 4 Elements? There is something inherently unstable in the philosophical set-up of a vampire as the Magus, to wit; if he is the Magus, then he is already Master and has gone through the process and produced “the Philosopher’s Stone,” which would/could guarantee immortality if one so chose (if one believes the legend.) However, a vampire has already passed “through the Veil and back,” and not by the honest work of apprenticing as a Magus-in-training, but by jumping the line over at Death’s desk and making a bargain with the Devil. You see the problem; a vampire wouldn’t nor couldn’t fulfill the role, he cheated the process and has “re-incarnated” on the Dark side, very Dark indeed. He is more like an “anti-bodhisattva” than he is anything else. (Surely I deserve a Nobel Prize for that thought. Grin.)  In his “right mind,” he is on the Path of Beth, 12, in the Tree of Life. He is the Sun/Mercury combo in Aries; the sun for power and charisma, Mercury for agility and dexterity (not to mention those snappy winged sandals!) His planet, however, is solely Mercury. His Path leads from Kether to Binah. He is an Air element, and the number I assures his symbology as unity (male.) “The Magician represents consciousness, action and creation. He's the symbol for the idea of manifestation; . . . he gives meaning and direction to life, and he reminds us that the emotional and creative powers of our souls must have a physical basis to be of real use. Powers unused are powers non-existent, we have to set them free in order to use them, and to gain and renew. The Magician is related to the Mercurius of alchemy.” (Raven) His Drive is self-realization, a strong will and the energy to have one's way; his Light is activity, power of life and the impulse of energy. However, and AGAIN because of my choice of deck, I feel as if I’m being given a “Feather of Warning” here instead of Truth. The Magician’s Shadow is Aggressivity, egoism, and the abuse of power, and I have done quite enough of that this lifetime to last for the rest of this turn on the Wheel. I must be careful to act, not to react. To use power when it is recognized. If I don’t, I WILL become blocked, I will feel the energy but I won’t be able to use it. And of course, with a person like me, energy tends to explode when not finding a vent, and its’ resulting abuse and misuse. So, be careful there, Criswell, don’t let the main but unnamed culprit here, Ego, take possession of you and thus the situation. Go out of your way to be more co-operative and helpful, and use your powers wisely and well. “My life is everything I make it.”   


No comments:

Post a Comment