Sunday, January 10, 2016

Good morning and Welcome! to my daily 2-card The Scales of Ma’at reading for 11Jan2016: today my Heart is showing as the 9 of Lotuses and the Feather of Truth is glowing in VIII Justice. Regarding my Heart, I drew the card reversed; I don’t like to read reversed cards in a 2-card draw, unless my intuition tells me that it’s absolutely the right thing to do, it should be read reversed. I didn’t feel that today, I just felt “While the 9 of Lotuses is delightful, let’s not get cheesy about it, okay, Fauntleroy?” Now THAT sounds like me, “Yeah yeah, lovely and all that, now move on.” LOL. It isn’t that I am loathe to read negatively for myself, I’m not, it doesn’t scare or bother me. I just have a good intuitional grasp of how “reversed” the reversal is, and if it really needs to be read in the grey and how much. My Heart today is in Happy Land, “but don’t get silly about it, Sherlock, keep your feet on the ground.” (Today’s deck is *The Sacred India Tarot* by Rohit Arya & Jane Adams. I LIKE the idea behind this deck, I do. Unfortunately, I feel that THIS deck doesn’t live up to the promise that the vast body of sacred Indian literature and art promises on metaphysical realities. It’s dull, it lacks “inner, metaphysical sparkle,” that it-jumps-alive! quality & feeling that a really good deck gives you when it hits your hands. Enough.) IF we look at 9’s bones, they’re pretty straightforward: Happiness sits in Yesod in the Tree of Life, boating there through Water. In astrology, it’s Jupiter (happy happy) in the 2nd decan of Pisces. “With Yesod - reflection and imagination - inside of the perfect harmony of the Nine, the Nine of Cups has returned to the middle column of the Tree of Life, enlightened by the beauty of Tiphareth that resides above and just one step from Malkuth as its root and origin, the completion of the journey. Nothing serves the waters of Briah better than the seas of Yesod, so the card shows perfect harmony and fulfilment in any emotional matter.” (Raven) Love the boy’s summations, just love ‘em. Pithy and to the point. However, if I’m going to give it even a little consideration as drawn reversed, I should remember that “on its shadow side, the card shows the risk of self-indulgence and complaisance, the temptation to just enjoy the happiness but forget the reflection that keeps the light upon the waters alive.” (Ibid) Boy! is that good advice for me, because that sounds EXACTLY like the kind of slip I would make. So as I sit here phat and happy in the emotional well-being of my couple and our marriage and my relationship with Tarot/The Journey, “don’t get sloppy & forgetful & ungrateful, Mark, don’t become Toadboy.” Yes sir. The Feather of Truth posed on the scale against the weight of my Heart is today to be found in VIII Justice, and aside from disliking this numbering system (I REALLY STRONGLY believe Justice should always be XI) Justice and I are old friends. Not that she makes a warm cuddlebuddy, she doesn’t, the sword & scales get in the way. But her Karma quality is something I adore; the concept of Karma is the closest I have ever been able to come to defining what I would consider to be Justice. Not necessarily the “eye for an eye” quality, but rather the “just and equitable return of Balance to each and every act, situation, teaching & judgement, as well as every summary sentence projected from ‘On-High’.” She’s got good bones, good lines, as they say in Monaco; Justice is on the Path of Lamed, 22 in the Tree of Life. She is Venus in Libra, standing for fairness and justice, with a clear aspect to Saturn. In the Zodiac she is Libra, just as on the TofL, she is the connection between Geburah and Tiphareth, with her Element being Air. “Justice is a symbol for the balance of contrasts, complementing one another and also building up room and time. She combines the High Priestess and the Magician. Both are connected - true, conscious action results from realization, wisdom is based on action. The principle of activity completes itself with the passivity of inner reflection, the adjustment being the balance in between. . . Only when we have an objective view of all and accept them, can we can find inner balance and silence. Therefore, the balance/Justice stands for uncompromising honesty and objectivity, the realization of cause and effect, background and consequence.” (Raven, who also gives us this side note, “Oh, by the way - it wasn't Crowley who reversed Trumps VIII and XI [Justice and Strength]. If you look at old historical decks, the Justice has been the 8 ever since antiquity.) Without research of my own, I cannot argue with him about the postscript, although I do wonder . . . . The point being that a “detachment” and an “as objective as I can be” point-of-observation are NECESSARY if I am going to do more than a half-assed job of rendering any Justice or Balance or MA’AT in my kingdom. Perhaps precisely because I am normally such an out-of-control kind of guy, I not-so-secretly adore Ma’at as perhaps one of my favorite incarnations of the Goddess, I grok her. Nothing calls me to order like a remembrance of Ma’at, “The Just Balance.” I would like to end today with the ancient Egyptian Hymn to Ma’at, but before I do, I would like to wish all of us the blessings of the Cosmos today!
“Hymn to Maat (in the temple of Amon at el-hibis, translation by John L Foster)
Praise to you, Maat, daughter of Ra,
consort of god, whom Ptah loves,
The one who adorns the breast of Thoth, who
fashioned her own nature,
foremost of the souls of Heliopolis;
Who pacified the two falcon gods through her good will,
filled the per-wer shrine with life and dominion;
Skilled one who brought forth the gods herself
and brought low the heads of enemies;
Who herself provides for the house of the All-Lord,
brings daily offerings for those who are on duty.
Magnificent her throne before the judges-
and she consumes the enemies of Atum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment