Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Good morning and Welcome! to the Scales of Ma’at for 21Jan2016: as my Heart card today I’ve pulled VI the Lovers and batting for the Feather of Truth is VIII Strength. (The CORRECT numbering! Harrumph!) (Today’s deck is AGAIN the *Tarot of the Spirit* by those Eakins girls, Pamela & Joyce. I REALLY like these cards – I have NO opinion about the accompanying [too expensive] Kabbalah literature that goes with it [although I own it, I have yet to crack it open,] and the GBFLWB [Great Big Fat Little White Book] that is supplementary to the deck is basic Kabbalistic material, anyway.  I’m focused on the cards, which I find VERY evocative. How terribly symbolic of the Tarot world; throw €140 worth of books on a dusty shelf but passionately use a €15 deck of cards. Ha! Now if that isn’t faith in one’s Intuition, I don’t know what is! Well, “mebbe jes’ a lil’ bit o’ book lernin’, too.”) It’s an All-Majors morning, which is always a kind of odd thing for me. It is being given great big glorious-sounding themes as your subjects, but no fill-in, no backstory. I have come to really like the Court and the minors – they put meat on those great big airy bones of the Majors. (Thus, Majors-only decks don’t do it for me.) Don’t get me wrong – I can juggle my archetypes with the best of them, loving them at the same time, but they are a little difficult to persuade to get down and rock the dancefloor with me. Tea & scones, thank you. Ah well, nobody rocks a dancefloor like the Queen of Cups anyway. Back on track – VI the Lovers; yeah, my Heart is full of Choice today, so says the card. I’ve been getting a lot of this lately, and I’m a bit mystified – what choice? (I have already established to my own satisfaction that the card is not referencing any present or future interpersonal relationship.) I’ve already made the Big ones: if we are talking about my physical, corporeal life, then my choices are quite clear, if somewhat difficult to understand; any other aspects of my life, such as spiritual and/or mental, are ALWAYS full of choice, for the Underworld’s sake!! That’s also called growth, Mark. I feel as if I have made and am making a continual series of good choices to keep my spiritual and intellectual “lives” on track. SO-o-o, if this is about a “Mystery Choice” in my life, it must be JUST arriving or soon-to-come. “More shall be revealed.” Grin. Quick glance at the bones: VI - The Lovers – On the Path of Zain in the Tree of Life? They are Venus and Mars & on a higher level the Sun and Moon - as the combination of the contrasts. Of course in the Zodiac the card is Gemini, and back on the ToL travels from Binah to Tiphareth in its Element, the Air. “The Lovers are one of the most complex cards in the Major Arcana, standing for the love in common and the alchemy of the universe. The card also represents a decision, the farewell to a former way of life and the full acceptance of love uncompromising.” (Raven) Ahh, the wisdom of the black bird. He’s right, of course, but it applies on an even bigger scale, as well, universal. And today my choosing (or choosy?) Heart runs smack up against the rather formidable VIII, Strength. As long as we are looking at bones: The Daughter of the Flaming Sword, of the sign Leo, and associated to Capricorn. “The strength card is one of self-control, willpower, strength of character and maintaining nerves of steel in any difficult situations. It is a card that represents mastery of an awkward situation and the overcoming of any negative thoughts, instincts or obstacles. In order to move forward you will need a huge amount of drive and determination and as long as you can accept this, then you will be able to succeed . . . Try to think of the strength card in terms of fire.” (TarotLovers.com) That is as good a little summation of a powerful card as any, and much better than most. I like the Strength card, always have, because I can grok it, I can feel it true deep inside of me. I’m BIG on Inner Strength, and as either cause or result I have a good deal of it, to be honest. And naturally it isn’t about the exterior show of strength – about which I don’t worry, as I have a rather “gentle giant” appearance anyway. But the Feather of Truth today is perhaps telling me that Strength will be needed to make the Mystery Choice, a prospect which fills me not with curiosity exactly, it sounds a bit ominous, but with something more like a wary foresight. I’m not big on waiting for the other shoe to drop, it just makes me irritable and then choleric, which I don’t like. I’m a “give me the bad news first, Sergeant!” kind of guy. Let me know it, deal with it, and get it out of the way so that I may enjoy life in untainted splendor. Another good simile is the anticipation of punishment, which can be far worse than the actual punishment itself. Whatever the case or rhyme or reason, my amity for the card is undimmed – I know I can count on “her” as I have met her in her residence within me. So today I have a serving of Mystery and Affirmation of Strength on my plate – and I’m a choosy bastard, so I hope they are to my taste. I can always MAKE them to my taste, but that rather misses the point, doesn’t it? Learn today, Mark, don’t flex around and strut, you don’t have the energy today, dude. Whatever is in the Pipe for me today, I can always positively hope that I will handle it with as much grace, finesse and bonhomie as I am capable of summoning. May the Cosmos bless us ALL today!




No comments:

Post a Comment