Sunday, May 8, 2016

Good morning and Welcome! to the Scales of Ma’at for 09May2016: my Heart is firmly ensconced in “almost-” home ground, IX the Hermit while the Feather of Truth has taken to the skies with two Ouroboros (Ouroborii ?) in the 2 of Disks. (Today’s deck is *The Book of Shadows: The Lost Code of Tarot* by Andrea Aste. It is a beautifully artistic deck from Andrea with a decidedly post-modern style reminiscent of a “decayed” A. Beardsley/Art Nouveau, although there is both less & more here present, in the form of magickal symbols & runes. There is also a long and quite involved story conceived around the deck, a “fausse histoire,” if you will, which is very involved & labyrinthine, and takes up the entire LWB along with texts of varying length about the “historical place” the cards came from and what the arcane symbology translates as, but don’t look for the author’s takes on specific card meanings, he didn’t put any in. It’s ALL up to you, and perhaps that is due to this deck being, at heart, A Tarot de Marseille or as it is called, a Continental deck.  In other words, you need to know how to read Tarot; after all, it is as old as the roots of your mother’s hennaed hair! I like it, with the small reservation that it doesn’t perform the dramatic hand-sweeping fan spread for card choice easily; that disappoints me, it’s always a camp moment, if for no one other than me.) My Old & dented but 24 ct. Heart is holed up at “home” today, IX the Hermit. He’s in his deepest Sagittarian mode, it seems. Papus called this card, "Humanity fulfilling the function of God the Holy Spirit. The human creative force." For your own infodex, the Hierophant (Leo) represents God the Son (of course.) I want to throw my own light on “things below” in order to instruct & guide. I grok doing that. The Hermit is a walker, and so used I to be, before leg trouble. I still walk to the best of my limits, but it is poor fare compared to yesteryear. One of the key things about a walker/Hermit is that are always, more or less, lonely. It is following the current of idealism and the direction in which thought runs that my Heart finds itself, longing to both teach AND retire from the world. And if I’m going to shield my lantern like that, it is because I believe, as of old, that Truth isn’t to be scattered to the masses like corn to pigs; the power of Darkness is out there and one hopes to evade it not only by selected application of the Staff of Wisdom to an acolyte’s backside but in fending off the wolves of darkness.  The truest lesson of the Hermit, “Where I am, You may be” springs from deep within, in that in me which calls forth the Sagittarian nature of the teaching ethic. This “shift in consciousness” is an initiation. While the Hermit is a very patient magician, he can also symbolize the eternal, and as such it is his Nature, not his Magic, which shines.
  My Heart-ish Hermit finds his Truth today where the Feather has flown, the 2 of Disks/Coins/Ouroboros. Traditionally, this card was interpreted as “Embarrassment, obstacles, obstruction, emotion, confusion, difficulty, hindrance, unrest, etc.,” whereas Waite gives it "A card of gaiety, recreation and its connections."  This Fire in the 6th House, the House of Virgo, my Ascendant. In MY reading & MY viewpoint (remember Yoav Ben-Dov’s *Open Reading*?)the card is far indeed from the negative implications given its appearance in a spread. Bullshit. No, it isn’t the 2 of Cups, but there is very little if any harm in the 2 of Coins. If anything, I like to believe the card represents good work & satisfaction but a warning to use economy in the display of one's forces; after all, it is early days yet, and you aren’t THAT “rich,” yet. However, much more than that and more personally to me, the 2 of Coins recognizes the good start that my student and I have achieved and it bodes well for the future harmony of our dynamic of teacher/pupil. This is the start of a new week, and acknowledging the good “business” ending of last week as the starting point of this one seems to be a logical, reasonable thing to do. I’m going to keep it short(er) today. I ask the Cosmos to grace us ALL with a smooth re-entry to the week and enough knowledge and Will to remain Silent when it is appropriate, to speak when it is necessary. Inshallah!    

No comments:

Post a Comment