Monday, August 29, 2016

Good morning and Welcome! to The Fool’s Tarot for 29Aug2016. (Today’s deck is *The Ancient Egyptian Tarot* by Clive Barrett. It’s alright as far as it goes, and there is certainly nothing wrong with the mechanics of this deck, but the art is FLAT. None of the art seems to have any heart or soul or “movement” to it, it becomes just a collection of what I would call “antimacassar lovely” vignettes: nothing to make your 85-year old good, Christian (Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist) grandmother sit up and take notice; just a mumbled “That’s nice, dear . . .” before she floats off into the vaps. Oh well, I suppose that if Norman Rockwell can be considered American art (yecch!) then this could be considered Egyptian themed – however, I can’t shake the notion that Clive is actually the fey young brother of Elizabeth Barret Browning and lies in a seeping pool of tedium, spoiled melancholy and masturbatory delusions of being an artist. But no, that’s just my imagination . . . .) Here we are at the start of the week, just a few days from when I need to reopen the shop doors and get back to something more ordered and reliable for the daily blab. Right NOW the problem is that I KNOW what I want to present as a new spread with a specified purpose and structured progression. However, it is FAR too big to do on a daily basis. I must find a solution . . . (pacing my laboratory, idly snapping off children’s fingers & toes in their cages lined against the wall of my study –unbaptized children have so many uses.) (Grin.) Yet, as much as I like and appreciate The Scales of Ma’at spread, I long for another shorty to lend a different lens to my days for a while. On verra. In the meantime, I am temporizing with this simple 2-card reading, a Point/Counterpoint spread. Intended to give a direction to the day, meditationally & goal-oriented ; the 1st card is where you are in the best use of your faculties and energies today, where you “should” be going; the 2nd card represents whatever stands in opposition to your progress, that which provides resistance in your day. I have pulled the Queen of Swords and the 7 of Wands, respectively, so let’s take a quick look at where I need to be focusing today.  The Queen of Swords is the element Water (here) in Air. AKA the Queen of the Thrones of Air, in astrology she strides from Virgo to Libra. She is, of course, in Yetzirah and her station is the Sephiroth Binah. “She supplies the qualities of emotion and sensitivity to the airy element, the ability to transfer and reflect, to form and create. As the mother of the Air, she will
 have a strong intellect.” (Raven) Thus my keywords for today COULD be: Independence, freedom of mind and soul, Wisdom, imagination, self-confidence, perceptivity, grace. Well, if I HAVE to be, I suppose I shall {{sigh.}} (Grin.) However, I am to be crossed today, it seems, by the 7 of Wands, AKA (normally) Valor, but not in this deck, as It follows the Egyptian style. In our reading today, this 7 actually stands for conflicts of all kinds. Mars if powering Leo, lending perseverance against heavy odds and courage in adversity. Well, I’m glad courage is there, but WHAT adversity?? It also stands for an ambitious and egotistical nature with pride as the pitfall. This is almost like the card of an extremist or fanatic, and if it more clearly indicated me somewhere, it would signal stubbornness, which I possess by the assload anyway. Well, that is what stands in my way today, and I can only draw the conclusion that this heartfelt opposition to following the Queen of Swords is mine; is, in fact, me. It’s true that I am a stubborn old coot, that I have good moral character (even if I say so myself) and that I am loathe to listen to others when convinced I am right. That ISN’T cool, but then, being totally Queenly in the Swords isn’t that cool, either; she is dangerous enough and focused enough to be a complete raging bitch if handled badly, and I know as I used to watch a Queen of Swords (my mother, to the hilt when she “hit center stage,” the performance was ON. Please understand me; I loved my mother, but I am not now nor was I then blind. She was a raging Queen of Swords a goodly amount of time; she was also what I call a “high-maintenance woman.” If you do not have the money, time or intelligence to devote to one of these “exotic Italian sports cars,” I suggest you not even THINK of going there. Being around one of those types has a long-lasting effect on the height of your defenses; they are usually UNusually high.) However, my mother being dead, I think it far more likely that THAT kind of opposition may come from what’s still inside of her that is inextricably woven into the warp & weft of me. I shall deal with it/her if/when she raises that snake-haired head, but I find ignoring her is usually the best way to draw her fangs for a quick getaway. If this were “bigger” than a CoTD reading, I would spend more time concentration on that opposition, but it isn’t so I won’t. Okay, let’s get on with it. I ask the Cosmos to give us ALL a singularly good dose of “Alright, let’s get it done!”-ness today. Be Well!   

No comments:

Post a Comment