Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Good morning and Welcome! to the Scales of Ma’at for 11Aug2016: my Heart is in the 6 of Pentacles today and the Feather of Truth is staring at the Queen of Cups, wondering if Glenn Close is free to play the part. (Today’s deck is the newly-released *Tarot Apokalypsis* by Erik C; Dunne & Kim Huggens. As stunning as the Tarot Illuminati; another must-have deck from Erik & Kim.) The 6 of Pentacles is a hard cup for me to grok simply because I have a hard time accepting gratitude, rewards, accolades or renommée. I accept recognition easily enough, however, and in my humble opinion do not receive enough (Ha!) I have to relate this card to something that was said to me last night by one of my “boys,” Lucian. It was along the lines of my young friends being friends with me exactly because I fill that certain role for them of the older man with whom one takes counsel. I like that; it honors and respects me without being slavish or false, or scandalously flattering. In terms of the card, if I has a fortune I would be a “philanthropist;” alas! I do not, therefore I give what I can give when I can give it; above all, however, beyond mere money, I give my time, experience, and “wisdom-such-as-it-is” to whomever seeks me out with a sincere heart. I have short shrift with the hypocrites, serial liars & energy vampires. On the Tree of Life the 6 sits in Tiphareth and astrologically is the Moon in Taurus. Looked at from a theoretical standpoint, “. . . the 6 is the Fire of the heart in the house of Capricorn, the Tenth, which is the house of the act, the deed, actuality, position and name, superiors and authorities. Moreover it denotes the actual time in the horoscope [sic]. The descriptions given by tradition are consequently correct and to the point. We may add that here, in this combination, the heart's desire and wish, the impulses to speculate and to create, to make love and to do good, all become active and acute. So this must be a card of practical things, which for the greater part will be of a benefic nature. Good action, which may include the fulfilment of duty as well as giving presents and alms. It means putting the heart into your action, working, acting, doing with much pleasure, conviction and self-confidence. This makes success almost certain. It means good-will and noble intention proved by gracious, charitable or useful action.” (A.E. Thierens, a 19th/20th c. Dutch astronomer and author of *The General Book of the Tarot.*) This is more than anything a contented card, recognizing moderation in all things (XIV Temperance, my old buddy) and rewards being sufficient unto the effort. I like all of this, more than just being able to live with it. This is a proper recognition that maintains Ma’at in both me and the exterior & interior worlds. Turning to look for the Feather of Truth, I find her struck still in mute admiration before the seated Queen of Swords. The Feather is right-on; 
this Queen resembles no one as much as a bewigged and costumed Glenn Close in on of her scene-stealing characters. The lady can chew the scenery on a set, and our Queen here can do the same thing to an adversary; however, she is more inclined to show herself to be very sensitive, perceptive, sharp-witted and intelligent. She can turn cruel, malicious, narrow-minded, bigoted or even deceitful, dangerous, too, because of her charm and beauty, but that is coming up on her bad side, which I haven’t done today, thank Freya! In Erik’s deck this Queen is portrayed by Völva, Norse goddess of the Truth (and thus VERY in line with my focus on Ma’at in the a.m.) Her name is also a noun for any Norse female shaman or wise-woman, and by definition all women who were “on the Path”, from shepherdesses to goddesses, were völvae (pl.) She’s a bright girl, our Queen. VERY bright, and she can “see,” too. In my personal world, my Queen of Swords was my mother; a monstrously intelligent woman with more than a few issues. She is gone now, and I pray that her Journey takes her to brighter places than she has been.  The Feather of Truth is here for a reason other than whoring for Hollywood however, and I can only believe that it will prove to be input from a “Queen of Swords” at some point during my day. I’m not feeling particularly of-this-type today, and it is more than certain that it isn’t my wife, she is another Queen altogether. I have very few female friends here in Montpellier, so I shall wager a bet that this energy or input or whatever is coming via some method of communication other than face-to-face. Ok, I’ll keep my cathode-ray-eye scanning the background for that during today. On a theoretical note, this Queen represents “the female rulership of the element of Earth on the house of Taurus, in which the Moon is exalted and 'womanhood eternal' is contained. The house of money, in worldly affairs. So this card must mean either woman ruling by matter, material or magnetic attraction, purely physical charm, or ruled by material elements herself. The latter may be seen as: ruled by the desire of luxury and money, or as: overpowered by material difficulties, weighed down under the burden of a material world. A woman of Saturnine and Martian qualities is seldom charming unless in a purely physical and sexual way; there may be higher virtues, however, which in this case will be developed by suffering, such as chastity, severity, continence--from which it will be easily seen, that sterility, privation and mourning may derive, personally. Astrologically the Martian and Saturnine qualities are seldom found to be very 'benefic' for women, being very often signs of an unpleasant character or injured reputation. On the one hand this card may be a woman under affliction and severed from her natural protector or protection--widow, divorced, separated, though not the unmarried; on the other hand we have to see in this card the woman who is paid for her 'love,' and the fact that "woman costs money," a fact of more occult significance than the world at large understands. It is indicated in the commandment of JHVH that 'man' should till the soil (Taurus) after the loss of the paradisiacal state. So this card has to do with the material necessity of married life, with peasantry and husbandry and economical exploitation. Well aspected, it may indicate art in general and sometimes wealth after assiduous struggle and toil.” (Thierens, again.) Wow, that’s a heavy interpretation, but should be given its turn on the soap box, I suppose. At any rate, I’m not as misogynistic or sexist as Mr. Thierens, so I’ll be taking that viewpoint with a handful of salt. I ask the Cosmos today to grant us ALL the wisdom of differentiation between truth and flattery. Be Well!   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment