Monday, September 5, 2016

Good morning and Welcome! to The Fool’s Tarot for 05Sep2016. Today’s card, a reflexion point for light meditation throughout the day, is II Corn Maiden (The High Priestess). Today’s deck is *The Native American Tarot* by Magda Weck Gonzalez, AKA Star-Spider Woman. A large eponymous book accompanies the deck, adding J.A. Gonzalez in the authoring credits. It’s a nice deck, and that is the summation of my comments upon it. (In the interest of full disclosure, I am an Osage Indian of ¼ blood and listed on the tribal rolls, so I have a natural bias. It is easily overcome, but the point is that I am NOT awed by any mystical flummery about Native American spiritual practices. On to the card.)  Having just said that bit about not being awed (odd? grin), there are 562 federally recognized Indian tribes, bands, nations, pueblos, rancherias, communities and Native villages in the United States. In choosing Corn Maiden to represent Major Arcanum II, the creatrix of the deck has done very well in choosing the Hopi version of a popular, trans-tribal goddess. (For more on her, go here; http://www.rejectedprincesses.com/princesses/corn-maiden.) The Hopi are widely reputed to be the “most mystical” of all North American Indian tribes, and they have a Creation legend that is truly worthy of the deepest thinking and symbology that man has devised for any religion. (I am a little aghast at the author calling herself Star Spider Woman. That is akin to someone calling themselves Yahweh, or God, or Allah, or me calling myself Wakonda, the great creator god of my tribe’s spiritual beliefs.) The author’s book entry is long, but is a collection of others’ insights and/or knowledge of the High Priestess, the Corn Maiden, and some interesting astrology/astronomy that presumably has a base somewhere outside of her. Please don’t misunderstand me; it is a well-written blog page; unfortunately, that is not what it is meant to be. What she concludes with could have been presented all by its lonely, to tell the truth; “The Corn Maiden, the pubescent spirit, the virginal goddess has latent within her all the potential of the Earth Mother, the goddess of fertility. [NO. She has made the High Priestess an apprentice Empress. NO. - mm] She is the eternal virgin, the soul of light, the truth behind the veil – she is, in feminine terms, the menstrual blood, the possibility of form or manifestation. The potentials, the possibilities, need only dedication and imagination to excite.” (*Star-Spider Speaks: The Teachings of the Native American Tarot* by Magda Weck Gonzalez (Star Spider Woman) and J.A. Gonzalez (Rattling Bear). USGS, Stamford, 1990.) I can think of other young women amongst the arcana to whom I would assign most of these qualities rather than to II the High Priestess. It must be admitted; she never claims it substitutes for that figure, but if not, what is the rest of her Major Arcana about and her reproductive, 
womyn’s wyrd system for the deck? Perhaps I would find it easier to swallow all of this were I female, but I doubt it. I’d still be me. So, here’s how I’m wrapping this up, folks: I am making what I call a translation “adjustment” and I am going to consider Corn Maiden AS High Priestess and I’ll fill in my own story, thank you. I’m an Indian, I can do it. . . LOL. What I’m saying is that I’m just going to switch out Spider-Woman’s interpretation for my own, more in keeping with what I believe to be Tarot and not Native American divination dressed up in a smallpox blanket. Today I ask the Cosmos to give us ALL a bit more clarity and good sense as we bend the Universe this way and that to suit ourselves. Be Well!   


No comments:

Post a Comment