Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Good morning and Welcome! to The Fool’s Tarot for 13Oct2016. Today I have used the 3 Principles spread and the deck is the original German version of the *Thoth Tarot* by Aleister Crowley & Lady Frieda Harris. (The only difference being a slightly softer color focus and tone. As opposed to some of the neon electric Thoths out there, it is “softer.” You will also notice I have cut off the borders; that was done post-scan for illustration purposes only.) Well, well, well . . . 1st of all, Good morning! Now, do you see what I see? I see two princes of equal but different power, with Fire dominant in Sulfur and Air passive in Mercury, and going in different directions, too! And how are the Mountain and Mohammed (pbuh) ever going to run in tandem? Why, looky there, Virginia, it’s the 2 of Cups, Love. And just in case I was in any doubt, my BotD card, pos/neg hint on where to look for help, avoid problems, I have pulled I the Magus. Well . . . Good Great Black Lesbian God in Heaven! (IF we absolutely MUST anthropomorphize the Deity, then that is my preferred image form. I think she’d be swell!) Tell me I’m wrong, that I’m reading wish fulfillment and not the cards, that this, that & the other thing . . . Horseshit, I see a guy waltzing into my life of equal strength and dignity and intelligence but very different talents and a different central axis. It might even be this evening, when we hold our Tarot gathering. And this is happening under the banner of “true” love. (God, that makes me wretchedly uncomfortable, as if I’ve just been whisked into a Harlequin romance against my will and I can’t get out until the last bosom has heaved and the last manly chest burst through a linen shirt. In a storm. On a moor. Oh, fuck you, Emily Brontë, move over and hand me some tissue.) Can we hold this reading for about 5 or 6 hours? That would give me time to go out and find a gypsy fortuneteller’s costume and a Hungarian accent, so that I can come back as Magda to tell myself, 
“Yesss, my darlink, you vill meet a man, a tall, dark, man, perhaps full of vind . . .” Well, perhaps. But really, let’s put some intent back in this puppy by seeing what the mystagogue Crowley had to say about these arcana. These citations are taken from the *Liber LXXVII. “The Prince of Wands represents the airy part of Fire, with its faculty of expanding and volatilizing. He rules from the 21st degree of Cancer to the 20th degree of Leo. He is a warrior in complete armor of scale mail, but his arms are bare on account of his vigor and activity. He wears a rayed crown surmounted by a lion’s head winged, and from this crown depends a curtain of flame. On his breast is the sigil of To Mega Therion. In his left hand he bears the Phoenix wand of the Second Adept in the Ritual of 5°=6° of R.R. at A.C.), the wand of Power and Energy, while with his other arm he reins the lion which draws his chariot, the chariot which is fortified by a wheel radiating flame. He rides upon a sea of flames, both waved and salient. The moral qualities appropriate to this figure are swiftness and strength. But he is sometimes inclined to act on impulse; sometimes easily led by external influences; sometimes, especially in trifles, a prey to indecision. He is often violent, especially in the expression of an opinion, but he does not necessarily hold the opinion about which he is so emphatic. He states a vigorous proposition for the sake of stating it. He is in fact very slow to make up his mind thoroughly on any subject, but always sees both sides of every question.”  (*Liber LXXVII* A. Crowley) Well, yes, I can do that today, but it isn’t a Fire day – we have rainstorms ALL day today, it says. Ha! *I’m never that literal, of course, but this reading is a bit comic book-feeling anyway? I’m really not sure how to take it. It is a true reading because, my joking aside, this is EXACTLY the kind of additional relationship I am searching for to add to my life, to our lives, and to our “family,” large & heteroclite as it is. Moving on, we have my showcase prince, Air, with: “This card represents the airy part of Air. With its particular interpretation, it is intellectual; it is a picture of the Mind as such. He rules from the 21st degree of Capricornus to the 20th degree of Aquarius. . . This chariot is drawn by winged children, looking and leaping irresponsibly in any direction that takes their fancy; they are not reined, but perfectly 
Capricious. The chariot consequently is easy enough to move, but quite unable to progress in any definite direction except by accident. This is a perfect picture of the Mind. . . for there is a secret crown in the nature of this card; if concentrated, it is exactly Tiphareth. A person thus symbolized is purely intellectual. He is full of ideas and designs which tumble over each other. He is a mass of fine ideals unrelated to practical effort. He has all the apparatus of Thought in the highest degree, intensely clever, admirably rational, but unstable of purpose, and in reality indifferent even to his own ideas, as knowing that any one of them is just as good as any other. He reduces everything to unreality by removing its substance and transmuting it to an ideal world of ratiocination which is purely formal and out of relation to any facts, even those upon which it is based.” (Ibid) Okay, hmmm; I wonder . . . ? LOL, OK, enough with all the folderol, I’m NOT taking these cards at “face value” (although I am, but in a better way,) rather let me say that when such a relationship shows up in my life, I would expect it to be more of a teacher/student relationship, truly. “The Days of Wine and Roses” are long asleep now for this “Joe Clay.”  Which is yet another reason why I think that the 2 of Cups, with its DOMINANT atmosphere of spiritual love, personal & close, in fact rules out speculations of a grosser nature. The Beast thought, “The Two always represents the Word and the Will. It is the first manifestation. Therefore, in the suit of Water, it must refer to Love, which recovers unity from dividuality by mutual annihilation. The card also refers to Venus in Cancer. Cancer is, more than any other, the receptive Sign; it is the House of the Moon, and in that Sign Jupiter is exalted. These are, superficially, the three friendliest of the planets. The number Two referring to Will, this card might really be renamed the Lord of Love under Will, for that is its full and true meaning. It shows the harmony of the male and the female: interpreted in the largest sense. It is perfect and placid harmony, radiating an intensity of joy and ecstasy.
 Of necessity, the realization of the idea in the Four (as the suit develops) will gradually diminish the purity of its perfection.” (Ibid) If we look to the BotD card (Bottom of the Deck), the “hint” or “beware” card, it is I the Magus. Well, shee-it! That could be either one of us, or both of us. If it was neither, it wouldn’t be here. Well, we all know about the tricks & charms of Hermes Trismegistus, don’t we? “So what do we do if he notices us and smiles at us, Virginia? That’s right, dear, we run!!” LOL. No, I don’ run, but I do approach warily. Especially if it isn’t me! “On verra,”  muttered the Duc de Guise just before the palefrenier put his eye out with a dagger. All in all, an intriguing reading, for what is dawning as a day of being indoors and watching the rain . . . all . . . day . . . long. Which means, most likely, if action is going to happen in Vegas, it’s going to be tonight. I ask the Cosmos today for ALL of us to give us the gift of Perception of Difference today. Be Well!   

                     

No comments:

Post a Comment